Monday, August 3, 2009

Final Decisions from the BVA

In today's mail I got a letter from the BVA with the decisions concerning my disabilities. Everything was pretty much as expected. What surprised me was that my back pay was direct deposited today as well. The amount was pretty close to what I had guessed it would be. After reading the letter I realized that I need some more documentation to send to them and then I should be able to get the rating for bipolar disorder raised from 30% to 50%. I hope that the letter that I sent to them a few days ago succeeds in getting me the correct effective date for that.

I made an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my individual ratings and their effective dates. The reason for this is because I need to know when I have had an item service connected for more than 10 years and when a particular rating is 20 years old. The VA can't deny service connection on anything that is more than 10 years service connected and can't lower a rating that is more than 20 years old.

I also confirmed that most creditors can't go after my disability pay. The federal government, however, can. I'm still not sure if they can take away my disability pay if I default on my student loans but it looks like they can. I'm 51 years old and have so much student loan debt that I will never be able to pay it off unless I get a dramatic increase in income. Going from 60% service connected to 80% service connected does increase my income some, but not enough to pay back those loans and live by myself too. Until I can get to 100% service connected I will need at least a part-time job or a successful website.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At September 5, 2009 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just prevailed with the BVA on a serious endocrine disorder that developed when I worked in an Air Force photo lab. The BVA remanded the rating part back to the RO at Bay Pines, FL. Approximately How long will it take for the Rating Board to implement the BVA decision?

The DAV indicates the Appeals Management Center (AMC) also received the remand. I can find no reference to this in the decision I got from the BVA. What does the AMC do?

General comment: Most Veterans would be better off submitting the initial claim through their State VA office rather than the DAV.

Having watched the DAV for several years, I found it more of an impediment than a help. The Bay Pines DAV was also very unstable. VSOs left at an alarming rate and I had three VSO's in a two year period.

 
At March 29, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Blogger kingauth said...

check with the department of education they will go on your income levels i am a disabled veteran and they will work with you

 
At March 29, 2011 at 10:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I just went 60 per cent and did most of the work on my own. Regarding student loans, you cannot discharge them even with bankruptcy. The best thing to do would to work out an agreement with the government on how much you can pay each month before they tell you how much they will take.

DAV services have improved, but the one at Bay Pines is overwhelmed. I'm in a DRO appeal and part of the appeal is still at the BVA. Bay Pines low balled but I have doctor's letters that will save the day. I have broken the code on VA. I have also found that sending inquiries to iris.va.gov is as effective as a congressional inquiry.

 
At February 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

My husband just was granted 90% disabled and unemployability due to service related injuries. We have not got the letter stating so, however his document from eBenefits shows it. Can you tell me how long it took for you to get your letter? Was it the couple of days that it appears to have been based on your entries? Our claim was two years old before they decided so we are pretty behind and are hoping we'll get the backpay in time to save our bills.

 
At February 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You can go to the VARO vet center and they will print out your husband's current disability rating. It takes 3-4 weeks otherwise.

 
At February 8, 2013 at 2:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Stuent laons are not forgiven and the fedral government can probably attach you disability pay to be paid back. I would suggest you work out an agreement with them before they haul you into court.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home